Sunday, August 15, 2021

Walter Trampler and Horszowski play Brahms Op. 102

 Walter Trample / Mieczyslaw Horszowski

Brahm's Op. 102  Viola Sonatas

Stravinksy Elégie


Trampler and Horszowski both are artists of towering stature, and for me these performances of the Brahms Op. 102 sonatas are definitive. I realize how personal that is,  so I only claim that they define the works for me. They are brilliant performances by any standard, though. That this recording is not on CD (at least I could not find it) is inexplicable, and shameful, really.

I retrieved this LP from my record shelves thinking of it as one of my "new" records, only to be faced with a handwritten dedication on the back of the jacket,   "To Larry from Jerry, Xmas 1974".   Time flies when you're having musical fun!  47 years later, both the music and the performances continue to excite me. Trampler still stands at the summit of viola art, Horzowski is still a pianist of consummate musicianship, and Brahms chamber music still provides unmatched musical satisfaction to me. Those artists have departed for that great concert hall in the sky, and long before another 47 years goes by, I'll have joined them.  Meanwhile, however, I have a lot of listening still to do. This is a special record for me, and being able to offer a digital version is very satisfying.

The Stravinsky is something I could not fit on another Trampler CD, so I am including it here.



                        


4 comments:

  1. Thank You for the amazing music. What is an origin of the Stravinsky Elégie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It comes from a Trampler LP I posted earlier. It did not fit on the CD, so I did not post it at the time.

      Delete
  2. What a prize!! Thank you so much. A beautiful transfer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank your Grover. I've loved these performances since I got the record in 1974. Time does fly by, but my love for these pieces and these performances has not diminished in 47 years.

      Delete