Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Henry Cowel: Set of Five

 Henry Cowell

Set of Five for Violin, Piano, and Percussion

Hovhaness Kirghiz Suite, Ives Violin Sonata No. 4


An important 1956 recording of a significant work by Henry Cowell, composed at the request of the Ajemian sisters, that is, surprisingly, not on CD.  I like the Ives sonata a bit more edgy, but it is certainly played well here.  And my favorite rendition of it, Szigeti's with Foldes from 1941, is considered too "gypsy" for some, whatever that means.  For my money the most important recording here is the Cowell, and its a bang up performance of terrific piece of music. The entire album is included. Hope you enjoy it! 



7 comments:

  1. Hello ! Surprisingly both Flac and mp3 files are...empty.... Any chance to fix this? Thanks in advance....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will look into it

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi. I don't know what the problem is. I've downloaded, extracted, and played the files from both mp3 an flac zipped files. A friend of mine on a different computer has done likewise. So I've used three computers to check the files and they have all extracted and played properly. Maybe a glitch with MediaFire? I genuinely confused. I've removed the previous two comments because of typing errors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A small correction. The first files I checked "un-hid" easily by deleting the leading period. For those that didn't, I ended up just using the Mac duplicate file function, and the copies were not hidden.

    ReplyDelete