Sunday, August 15, 2021

Chamber Music Society Dvorak Chamber Music

Dvorak

E flat Piano Quartet Op. 87, F minor Piano Trio Op. 65


These are lovely performances, but the digitizing of them took some doing. I used two microline styluses on their recommended cartridges, and the results were harsh with distorted highs. Finally, my favorate cartidge/stylus for general listening, the AT 120E, did the trick. Even then, I re-equalized the final files to restrain what were, for me, a little too strident highs. I'm fairly pleased with the result. 

I like Dvorak's chamber music - a lot!  I have all the Piano trios with the Suk Trio, and those records are pretty much the gold standard for me, but I am always interested in hearing the Chamber Music Society records. The music is invariably performed by good musicians, if not the most famous.  Louis Kaufman and Artur Balsam on this record are probably the most well known, but all the others were highly respected performers. A sister label to Concert Hall records, most of the CMS releases had, ""licensed by Concert Hall Society for Non-commercial use", on the label, as does this record. 

The recordings have an important place in recording history, encouraging the recording of chamber music, and the performances usually stand in their own right.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment