Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Reiner 1949 Brandenburg Concertos


Reiner Brandenburg Concertos

1949 Recordings


To say that I am not fully satisfied with these renovations is an understatement, but the extent of my dissatisfaction varies from mild to substantial. But looking back on a Facebook post, I realize I started work on the records two years ago, dropped the project because I didn't like my work, and picked it up again recently. I don't dislike my work as much as I did, and sometimes I almost think it's OK. Nonetheless, having done it, I figured I'd put it up and let others decide. The performances are well represented in digital form, including a Pristine Classical restoration with wonderful sound that I nonethless find too souped-up to represent the chamber group employed. I'd rather listen to my old LP's.  But whatever your reaction to these sound files, do by all means find a digitization of the performances that you can enjoy. They are quite modern for their day and musically satisfying for any era.  Brisk and beautifully played by some of the best soloists New York offered at the time.  

The first two concertos, volume one of the three LP set are from the original release in 1950, and the above art work uses it, photoshopped,  to announce this post.  The beginning tracks of the first concerto were the most challenging to renovate.  The other four concertos, 3-6 are from Harmony releases in the late 1950's, with better surfaces.

Files can be found in these links: 

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/6pg64x89bd11v/Reiner_Brandenburg_Concertos_1949_Vol.1

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/htm3bo6eqdwey/Reiner_Brandenburg_Concertos_Vol._2

 

2 comments:

  1. I had decades ago the Vol.1 on LP.....so happy to be able to listen back to it and discover Vol.2...Thanks !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it. It's pretty unusual for its time

      Delete