Saturday, July 31, 2021

Budapest Quartet plays Debussy and Ravel: 1940 recording

Budapest String Quartet
Debussy / Ravel Quartets 
1940


 I've been meaning to get this up for ages. If the very different 1960's Juilliard recording is my desert island choice for these works, I've always been very fond of this gutsy performance by the Budapest.  I hope I have managed to do justice to the very good sound from the 1940's (in this pressing from the '50's).  Pristine classical has issued it, probably from a cleaner source the I have, though my LP is in quite good shape for a well-played vintage record.  As I have said before, give them a listen and if you like the performances but would prefer a professional transfer, Pristine classical is still available.  There is something special about the Budapest's take on the works in these performances - less French, perhaps, than some might like, but beautifully executed.

All files, Flac, MP3, and cover art can be found here: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/70pqbncwwoht3/Budapest+St.+Quartet.+Debussy+Ravel.+1940

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this one Larry. I really like the pre-stereo BSQ recordings. Burt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I finally found LP's of the entire 1951-52 Beethoven cycle, so I can finish that project when I get the time.

    ReplyDelete