Tuesday, September 14, 2021

"Halfway" 'Round the World with Janos Starker

 


"Halfway" 'Round the World with Janos Starker
Starker Plays Kodaly

I originally planned to include this entire 3 LP box set of early Period Records Janos Starker recordings, but ran into difficulties. First the original set I had did not include the Mozart or Boccherini sides, but duplicates of two of the Kodaly pieces. The second set I bought had the same issue. There was obviously a problem at the factory. At the prices the set is now being sold for, I did not feel like risking a repeat, and, to be honest, the Kodaly pieces included in this post, are the reasons this is one of my favorite record sets. 

In particular, though Starker recorded the Unaccompanied sonata on a number of other occasions, none of them match the intensity and technical bravura of this early recording, which remains my favorite of the piece by anyone, including Starker's subsequent essays. 

I have the Mozart and Boccherini concertos on an Everest fake stereo LP that I think sounds awful. After hours of work trying to get it to sound better, I have decided to settle for uploading the Kodaly and leaving the rest, at least for now. The Bartok Rhapsody and Weiner Kakodalmas have annoying audible clunks - either from the original transfer or my LP.  I have discovered I have the original pressing of those pieces, so if I manage to fix those issues someday, I'll post them, but for now the best of the box are the three Kodaly pieces included here: The Unaccompanied Sonata for Cello, Op.8, the Duo for Violin and Cello Op.7, and the Sonata for Cello and Piano, Op. 4.  The box is worth getting for the Op. 8 alone.

All files can be found here: 

Starker Plays Kodaly

4 comments:

  1. Was looking forward to hearing these but the music zip files appear to be empty when I try to open them?…! Love your music choices & words otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. as I mentioned, could you let me know what files you are having trouble with, because I had not difficulty when I downloaded the

      Delete
  2. Sorry I will check it out. I've been locked out of the blog for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could you tell me which files you are having difficulty with. I downloaded a couple from Mediafire, unzipped and played them. To save me from doing that with all of them, it would be helpful to know the specific file with which you are encountering problems.

    ReplyDelete