Monday, July 27, 2020

Bartok String Quartets 1949 Juilliard Recording




The Juilliard 1963 recording of the Bartok quartets has always been the gold standard of these works for me, and still is.  I'm afraid my response to the earlier recorded performances was rather, "very nice, but can we get to the '63 set now".  It was an injustice to these very fine performances.  If the technical command of these works had been perfected in the intervening years, and if, indeed, "THE" Juilliard for me are the various formations with Robert Mann and Claus Adam, the earlier group, with founding members of the Juillard Arthur Winograd on cello and Robert Koff as 2nd violin,  inscribed a committed and passionate performance of the six quartets to records.  The  fourth quartet has never been so accessible to me. 

The sound is not bad, although my records are original early 1950's pressings and they were well used before I got them.  The very outermost grooves of the first and second quartet were challenging to deal with. I think the distortion from groove damage has been minimized to acceptable levels in the renovation.  The best sounding of the set are 3-6, though I think 1-3 are perfectly acceptable given that they were taken from well used 70 year old records.  I haven't listened to the Pristine Classical renovation of these recordings, though they usually do a good job, even if sometimes things can sound a bit souped up. If you're interested in the recordings, why not give these renovations a listen. If you like the performances but not the sound, Pristine Classical will be available. I'm guessing they had cleaner sources than I, but as always any comments on the sound would help to improve my practices.

The tracks have been numbered for 3 CD's as indicated on the notes provided with the linked material.


The folder with all files for the six quartets is here: 

11 comments:

  1. wo-o-o-o-o-w!
    the greatest ever and extremely rare rendition...
    i own on LPs the 2 further recordings of Juilliardian Bartok quartet cycle and 2 qartets recorded live by Juilliardians on tour in Leningrad.
    but this recording wit Winograd participating was my most desired item.
    now it become true, though in digital form/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy my efforts were able to provide with the performances you were looking for. The 1963 recording with Claus Adam is probably my reference for these works, but I realize now how wonderful these earlier recordings are.

      Delete
  2. Great!! Thanks. Love these quartets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them too. If Bartok had written nothing but these quartets, he'd deserve a place as one of the greats.

      Delete
  3. Many thanks for this mono reference recording.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Larry, thanks for this wonderful set. I think your transfers are great. I agree that PC's work sounds a little too souped up for me (to the point that it sounds harsh IMO). Your sound works well with my old ears. Again, much appreciated. Burt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks. I wish my LP, especially for the 1st quartet, was in better shape, but for the most part I'm OK with the transfers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to see you back with a great recording!
    I am pleased to inform you of the opening of my new blog Concerts&ArchivesHD dedicated to historical recordings:
    https://concertsarchiveshd.fr/
    A greeting message is online as well as a first post dedicated to Fritz Busch.
    I greatly appreciate your site on which I have downloaded some very rare recordings.
    I wish you well for the future, in this particular field that has so much suffered from the Megaupload case.

    Musically, C&A HD

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much. I wish my LP's has been in better shape, but they seemed worth working on despite the outer groove distortion on a couple of the records. I look forward to visiting your blog. Fritz Busch was a titan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am also glad to see you back on the web! I also provide an (approximate) English translation of my posts.

      Good listening!

      C&A HD

      Delete
  8. Descargué el 1 y el 2, muchas gracias, saludos.

    ReplyDelete