Friday, June 12, 2020

Sibelius Symphony No. 2 Barbirolli and the Halle Orchestra RCA Bluebird 1084

It has been some time since I have done much in the way of transferring LP's to a digital format, mostly, but not entirely because my desktop computer with a decent sound card was not longer working. My hearing has become increasingly compromised since I last offered a restoration. I new Dell XPS desktop, EVGA Nu Audio sound card, Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro headphones (250 ohm), and Elac Uni Fi UB5 speakers, along with some re-programmned hearing aids, have inspired me to try again. I apologize if I've missed the mark in terms of sound.The hearing loss is a challenge I'd rather have avoided, but it runs in the family, so I'm not surprised.  Since I am trying to produce transfers I can share, any feedback would be welcome.  Here is a long time favorite of mine, Barbirolli's early LP issue on RCA Bluebird of the Sibelius second symphony.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/evjni7f3lfh2nxp/Sibelius_Second_Symphone_Barbirolli_Halle_Orchester_RCA_Bluebird_2084.rar/file


6 comments:

  1. Thanks for your efforts here. RCA LP's were always a fav of mine especially ANYTHING Erich Leinsdorf. I look forward to hearing this and will let you know any thoughts that occur....

    ReplyDelete
  2. O.k my immediate thought is that the recording sounds quite recessed. Could have perhaps been somewhat improved by a higher volume at your end when transferring to digital. Of course I can turn up at my end on playback but I note now I am at extreme volume and the music is not loud in the least. Otherwise its a fine sounding rip. Performance is a notable one. Sir John always had a great way with all things Nordic...Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure what the problem is. On my equipment playing at 70% volume is about right, but 50% would undoubtedly be better. The files were maximized in my restoration program after I did my work, but before it was cut into tracks.

      Delete
  3. Welcome back Larry. I just happened to visit your blog and noticed that you have started posting again. Glad to see it. Thanks for this Barbirolli Sibelius 2nd... nice performance 9and nice transfer). Much appreciated. Burt

    ReplyDelete
  4. My father bought this recording the day that Sibelius died, so I learned this piece from this record. Years later I got an autograph from Sir John on the back of this album. I've heard other Barbirolli Sibelius 2 but this is the one I love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's the record I learned the piece from also, from the small but well chosen selection of LP's in my local public library in the 1960's

    ReplyDelete